Pages

Tuesday 9 July 2013

DOMA = done!

June 26th was a huge day in the fight for equality of rights. The United States Supreme Court voted to cancel DOMA, a policy that was preventing marriage equality for gay and lesbian couples. George Takei, famous Star Trek actor and gay rights advocate, summed up my feelings on the subject very well with his facebook status on the day the vote happened:
Today marks a watershed moment in history and a tremendous victory for the principle of equality. The 5-4 decision by our Supreme Court striking down DOMA affirms the universality of love--the desire of all people not only to find, but to value and affirm, a lifelong commitment to another person. 

I have lived nearly four score years, and have borne witness to both the heartbreak and promise of true justice and equality in America. Today my heart soars, and my faith in the promise of our great nation is renewed. 

Now, if there's anything we gays know how to do well, it is to celebrate! Let the joy of this day ring out with PRIDE.”
Although I am not American, and not affected by American policies, I consider this change to be a great stride forward in not just in gay rights, but human rights worldwide! The United States is one of the most developed countries in the world, and has now taken a stance to show the rest of the world that marriage quality is a right. This has not only furthered the development of the United States as a nation, but also sets a precedence for other countries to do the same. In my opinion, marriage equality is a human right. I believe people should be able to marry whoever they love, no matter what. I also firmly believe that one’s sexual orientation should not affect the way they are treated. This makes gay rights an inherently development issue, because it brings into question equality and reducing discrimination against minority groups. As someone with gay family members and friends, gay rights is an issue close to my heart which I am extremely proud to support! Although this one decision doesn’t solve inequality and rights issues entirely, it’s certainly a huge step in the right direction.



3 comments:

  1. Feel valid in your interest, Michelle!
    We ARE affected by their policies! it's on OUR news channels, and when they do or do not pass social justice legislation, we are affected by people moving up. In the case of marriage rights, people even come to get married! Canada is unfortunately intertwined with our southern neighbour. Also, I am so glad DOMA failed, but at the same time, the 5-4 vote really shows how close minded the population still is. For a country that is supposed to be 'free', they sure like telling people what to do based on their own comfort levels. I could really go on, but you have written an excellent summation *

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very true Casey, Canada is very intertwined with our southern neighbor. What I meant by "not effected by their policies" is that they do not impact my rights or laws I have to follow. I can see what you mean though that people would come to Canada to get married, so we would be impacted in that way. And I agree that it does seem contradictory that Americans call themselves free, but did not allow for 2 men to marry each other! I'm not trying to bash Americans by any means, but I am glad that they've taken such a stride in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was so happy when they voted to cancel DOMA!! The fact that it was on the table to begin with always frustrated me so I'm glad it was cancelled. I agree with Casey though, the fact that the vote was so close (only one away!) shows just how divided the population is. It is a good first step however and hopefully the country will continue to move in the this direction.

    ReplyDelete