Pages

Wednesday 10 September 2014

"Life is either a great adventure or nothing" - Helen Keller

I know it’s been a long time since I’ve been able to write a post...it seems life has been getting in the way, which is part of the reason I am writing today. And also because I’m having a huge “I miss Hanoi” day.  As I read about this year’s INDEVOURS initial feelings upon arriving, I can’t help but miss the rush of excitement and wonder I remember experiencing when I first got to Vietnam. I miss the feeling of adventure – knowing you’re at the start of amazing new chapter of your life and you’re going to do some amazing things. It also brings back my many happy memories of my time in Vietnam, the friends I’ve made, and the cultural habits I still can’t shake (you can ask my family, I still yell “Oi!” on a daily basis to get their attention). I also miss the place I call my second home because of how hard it has been to keep in touch with my friends there due to a 12-hour time difference. Trying to find times to skype or chat is nearly impossible while working full time! Finally, I miss the atmosphere of Hanoi. The hole-in-the-wall cafes, the history, the markets, and even the insane traffic. I guess what it comes down to is now that I’ve had the adventure of living in Vietnam, I feel like I need a new one. I think it’s more than just “the travel bug” or “wanderlust”... it’s the adrenaline of being somewhere new doing something exciting all on my own! Moving to the Victoria at the end of October for my Masters degree couldn’t come quick enough for me, because I see it as my next big adventure. I know Hanoi will always be a part of me though... as the start tattoo behind my ear reminds me every day!

No comments:

Post a Comment