Pages

Wednesday 26 February 2014

That Olympic feeling

It was a hockey game that every Canadian will remember. The Canadian women were down 2-0 against the USA in the Olympic gold medal game with 4 minutes left in the 3rd period. Some of my friends that were in the restaurant with me watching the game had given up hope. Some Americans that were watching with us had already gone home thinking they’d won (granted, I don’t blame them, the game started at midnight Hanoi time). Then, the near-impossible happened. Brianne Jenner scored with 3:26 left, and Marie-Philip Poulin scored with only 55 seconds to go! After a nail-biting 8:15 in overtime, Poulin scored again on a powerplay to bring home the gold medal. 




I’ve never been so on my toes watching a hockey game! And in that moment, even though I was 12,790 kilometers from home, I’ve never felt more Canadian. That comeback IS hockey. It proved hockey is OUR game, and always will be. Seeing the women receive their well-deserved medals, and hearing the national anthem, made me incredibly patriotic and emotional. I admit it would have been nice to be a part of the celebrations back home, but I was also very happy to have shared the moment with some fellow INDEVOURS and new Canadian friends. 

This game was certainly the highlight of the Olympics for me, but watching my country compete in all of the games while so far away from home was a great reminder of the amazing place I call home. I’ve always loved watching the Olympics, but these ones were very special for me because I felt a new kind of patriotism. I watched the games with people from all over the world, and when I wore my Canada jean-jacket and t-shirt it really meant something. I was representing and cheering-on my country in a foreign land… which was a great feeling.



Until next time, Internet... 

1 comment: