Pages

Tuesday 5 February 2013

The 4 Squares and a Roof Foundation


I seem to be writing about organizations I’ve researched for a class.. but I suppose that’s a good thing because there’s a good reason I researched those organizations in the first place. I learned about the 4 Squares and a Roof Foundation because I interviewed their founder (Adam English) as an assignment for my social entrepreneurship course. Adam is a family friend of mine who I’d lost touch with for about 10 years, until I e-mailed him asking to interview him. My dad had mentioned to me that Adam started a charity, and once I finally looked it up I discovered how similar our views on development are.



4 Squares and a Roof is committed to end poverty and help relieve victims of natural disaster. They donate their money to regions that are in need to medical, educational and residential infrastructure. The foundation raises money (though donations and running various events) to help fund 2 schools in Mali though their partner Build A School in Africa, and to fund temporary disaster relief shelters for natural disaster victims.



Adam himself admits his charity isn’t going to change the world or end poverty. They’re quite a small charity, and only started fundraising in 2011. What makes them special though, is Adam’s passion. Adam recognizes the great disparity of wealth in the world and is committed to doing something about it. His motive is simple: if I can make even a small difference by getting some money from those who have so much to those who are in need, then I’ve accomplished something. He genuinely cares about the issue of poverty and wants to do something about it, just like me. I also really love the organization’s focus on infrastructure… as you might be able to guess from my post about Architecture for Humanity. As Adam pointed out to me in our interview, funding for infrastructure is especially hard to find in developing countries. His charity focuses on filling that funding gap. I also really admire the foundation’s focus on natural disasters. Especially with climate change, natural disasters are hitting harder in developing countries because they are more frequent and cause more damage in those parts of the world, so any organization focusing on natural disasters gets my approval.

The 4 Squares and a Roof Foundation has some pretty big long term goals, including getting federal charity status and growing their funds by 400% in 2013. They are hosting a charity poker tournament this year, which they expect to be a huge success.

Here’s a link to their website. They really are an awesome charity.

So what do you think of the 4 Squares and a Roof Foundation? How do you think they can leverage more donations and grow?

2 comments:

  1. I think that as there are so many organizations aimed at assisting development it is hard for them to set themselves apart. Although 4 Squares and a Roof seems very small scale and new they have lots of potential. We tend to underestimate the power small groups of people can have and with passion many things are possible. Also very cool that you have a personal connection to someone involved in something your so interest in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you, it's hard for the "little guys" to get a lot of attention. I think the main thing is that they ARE making a difference, which is more than I can say about myself at the moment that's for sure. Yeah, it's pretty cool that my family friend is passionate about poverty like me. I definitely never would have guessed from what I remember about him as a kid that he would start a charity.

    ReplyDelete